My Vitriol @ Manchester Ruby Lounge - Thurs November 20th

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myvitriol.net Forum Index -> Live & Gig Related
alpha waves
Underthelines

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: My Vitriol @ Manchester Ruby Lounge - Thurs November 20th Reply with quote

My Vitriol come back to Manchester (w00t) for the first time since 2002 when they played with Wilt at the uni.

Tickets 12.50 from wegottickets.com with doors at 7pm.!!!!!

alpha waves
Underthelines

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=88ifBWXw8Ig

shit video - doesn't seem like there are many there either

phameie
Finelines

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great gig last night - not been able to see that video yet coz wonderful work have banned youtube.
there were quite a few there actually. decent venue - reminded me of an old uni haunt. only slight criticism would be the stage - unless you were stood right at the front you wouldnt be able to see much of the band, but thats ok coz i know what they look like anyway.

if the glasgow gig was rusty and allegedly unrehearsed then they got their act together quickly for this gig. musically it was awesome and without wanting to sound like a d1ck, they were tight. ravi was ace on drums and seth equally good on geeetar. som's vocals were up and down but generally good - dont think he was helped by the sound tech who i think hadnt switched it on during the first and last song!!!
in terms of set list it was 1 hr 15 mins with various new ones including one called 'paradise grove' i think - that was really good. the usual singles were played except pieces and grounded. also a cover of 'crazy' by gnarls barkley. highlight of the night for me was 'a;ways your way'.

as for the satanic sluts, i was one of many member sof the crowd with perplexed expressions on my face, unable to understand what the fcuk was going on on stage. bizarre
tuestunim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New to the forum but have been a big MV fan for a long time - since I heard Grounded on a local band demo tape in S. London.

I have to say that last night they showed signs of a band who haven't played together much for a while but the new songs showed promise - despite many of them seeming to be in the same vein of loud start, followed by a bassy bit with singing, chorus, bassy bit with singing, chorus, end (a la Cemented Shoes).

Ravi came out in the end once the band had disappeared with the crowd asking for more but said they had "no more songs" despite the obvious omission of Pieces and Grounded.

Crowd didn't really seem to get into it too much, there were only about 6 people prepared to jump up and down, but I put this down to the venue which, to be fair, appears to be a decent club but I'm less convinced about it being a gig venue.

It was incredibly loud for the small room in which they were playing - my ears are still ringing (hope that clears up, it's driving me mad already!). If anything it was a bit too loud - so much so you couldn't hear things properly - but maybe I'm just getting softer in my old(!) age.

Looking forward to seeing them again, preferably in a bigger venue where the sound can carry and you've got more chance of seeing the band without having to barge your way to the front.

Highlights for me were Always Your Way and their cover of Crazy - which was surprisingly good!
phameie
Finelines

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i know its not necessarily a great live song but Pieces is one of my faves in that in reminds me of a time when MV were appreciated and they were doing pretty darn well. would've liked to have seen that as well as grounded.
i've gotta say, ravi's drumming was first class - its not usually the thing u should pick up on at a gig, but his drumming stood out as being top notch.
tuestunim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always pick up on it - I'm a drummer! That snare fill in Always Your Way is immense and he nails it every time.

Review on Manchester Evening News site if you're interested. I'd post the link but I'm not allowed
dan10k
Finelines

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some better vids from this gig on youtube.

"It's So Damn Easy" - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=j4J703ievdI

"Cast Aspersions" (snippet) - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GOLyDtoc8cM

"War of the Worlds" - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mLy8zJChHxU

Enjoy!
Cucina

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened in Glasgow? Why was it 'rusty'?? I ended up at the Manchester gig- thought they did ok but they need more dates to put on a shine?

Who supported in Glasgow though? the ones in Manchester were ok!

Cheers guys CC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myvitriol.net Forum Index -> Live & Gig Related All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: