Need an AMP

Mark
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Need an AMP Reply with quote

Just brought a Electric Guitar, aint got a clue what it is, ill check tonight but 'apparently' its pretty good for a beginner Wink (being me)

Just wondered what I need to get in terms of an AMP, I havent got a clue what im buying so what would be the best bet?

Also, can I plug my Guitar in through the line in on my PC? Ive got a Creative Audigy 2 ZS.

Lostthelines

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thing to do is go try a few amps out and see what you like. also, find out what amps bands you want to sound like use, and try them out too.

I have a lovely 15 watt Marshall, does everything i need as a non-pro really.
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=MG15DFX. But seriously, go for what you think sounds the nicest.

I might add that theres no point buying a massive amp if you only want to play quietly in your room, they don't usually do quiet in my experience.

As for the soundcard, i'm no expert as such so don't quote me on this if you f**k anything up, but i'd say yes, you can plug your guitar into it. I've been plugging into soundcards for years with no problems.

Hope that helps.
[/i]

Underthelines

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am by no means pro or a quality player, but i like marshall amps also. i have a vintage tube amp, cost me almost 1000 though about 7 years ago. it gives out some really raw sounds, i love it.
like cemented said it depends what sound your goin for. but most music stores are pretty coo about letting u test shit out before buying.
and with the sound card thing i have know idea, im on a mac. but i have whats called an imic that plugs into usb and i plug my guitar into it. there is a program called garageband on macs thats fuckin auwsome to record. i just have to watch it because the recordings are really raw and i blew out my speakers, yeah that sucked. im pretty sure there is similar hardware to imic and garageband software though on pc.
good luck
late

Luke Rounda
Overthelines

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refer you to one of my favorite sites, GuitarGeek.

The people on the forums are really helpful. You might not even have to register if you look around a bit on the Amplifiers section under Electric Guitar.

Speaking in generalities, most guitarists prefer tube amps as opposed to solid state. But it's whatever floats your boat (and your wallet), really.

As for my personal recommendation, listen to those two cats above me. Whatever sounds best to your ear is going to serve you best, and if the music store gives you guff for turning up a little bit, wave a commission in their face and see if that changes anything Wink

As for hooking it into the computer, it's been my experience that the easiest solution is to buy a mic preamp. The one I have is basically an external soundcard, it's an M-Audio USB Fasttrack, seems to have worked just fine for me so far.
spiderprint

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lovely 120 watt 5150 II which i'd recommend to anyone for heavier stuff, Fender Twin for the clean stuff.
hystericallyuseless
Underthelines

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i first started, I bought a guitar/amp package deal from something like argos, not sure if it was argos as i cant remember, it probably was. Cant remember the cost, wasnt a huge amount thats for sure.

From my experience, as a beginner you dont need to be confusing yourself with what kind of amp you want. For now you just need to be able to hear yourself. Lets be fair, you wont be going out gigging anytime soon.

The gear i learnt on was for want of a better word CRAP, but there is a school of thought that says if you learn on crap then when you get the good gear, your actually alot better than you thought you were. Although this kind of thinking does also apply to the should i learn on acoustic first or electric question so its debatable. Me personally i definatley noticed a huge difference when i swapped from crap to good gear.

One thing I would advise is dont go thinking that by buying effects pedals that its going to make you sound better as it wont. I learnt this, i really did !!

All you need to start is a guitar, an amp and say a distortion pedal or use amp distortion if applicable.

Im sure you could pick up a second hand or even third or fourth hand not so high spec shall we say amp for 20 if that.

You only need to hear yourself playing and no offence Mark as i dont know how beginner you are but people arent going to want to hear you fumbling about, trying to fret chords etc

How beginner are you ? Im curious ??

Im no shred god but then ive never had that desire and i remember when i first started.

It was difficult thats for sure, fumbling about trying to fret the first most basic chords your taught by either a teacher or a book. Getting insanely sore fingers and finger tips for that matter.

Im self taught, well minus a few chord diagrams and lots of tabs by my favourite bands but i have had no real guidance.

I never learnt scales (foolish i guess). In some respects i do know scales but thats just from knowing what notes work together thats just experience i guess.

The thing that helped me hugely was learning my favourite songs. I dont mean try and learn the solo to master of puppets or something like that but something simple.

If i remember rightly, the first song or riff i learnt was nirvana come as you are. Took me quite some time to get it.

If you read other forums and beginners start spouting off about how they learnt this and that hard song or solo within 2 hours or 2 days or whatever ! Dont listen to them ! Dont be put off and think your no good. Most of these people talk shit. You only have to go on youtube and look at the insanely bad playing of some of the idiots that have gone to the trouble of uploading a video of themselves playing a song that not only can they not keep up with the timing and are making mistakes consistently but these people actually believe, geninely believe they are uploading something worth watching and something people will be like wow your amazing. The deluded world of youtube !!

The key to any beginner learning a song is to split the song or riff up into small parts and then piece them together.

From come as you are i went on to learn pretty much every nirvana song, not in there entirety but the main parts i liked then moved onto bands like muse, foo fighters, radiohead etc

I dont really learn other bands songs now, i just work on my own stuff.

You do get a great sense of accomplishment though as a beginner to be able to play a song by a band you love and look up to.

Best of luck with it.

EDIT: WOW, i just looked at the dates and times. Some bugger bump this thread up. I just wrote all that and your probably a guitar genius by now. Although I must state that my mac has major issues where by the battery is dead and therefore only works off the power supply and so everytime i load up it defaults to 1970 but thats not the dates im seeing and so i guess i wrote all that for no reason.

I hope the guitaring is going well Mark.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myvitriol.net Forum Index -> Kit and Tab All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: