The Pedal Junkie Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cementedshoes
Lostthelines

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any pedal that has the same power connection, polarity and voltage as BOSS pedals.

(eg. i use it to power my marshall jackhammer too).

I dont know if its officially recommended by BOSS, but as long as you're careful there's no problem with it,

Underthelines

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any alternatives to the ls2 line selector ?? I have read some 50 / 50 reviews on them.
cementedshoes
Lostthelines

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno to be honest, they are such a basic pedal really, cant see why they'd get a bad review.

I know you get assholes who go "oooh, its not a true bypass pedal, it'll rape, pilage and murder your tone", well, f**k them, i dont care about true bypasses, or tone.

sorry for the rant, but i'm so sick of people telling me about it.

Underthelines

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cementedshoes wrote:
i dunno to be honest, they are such a basic pedal really, cant see why they'd get a bad review.

I know you get assholes who go "oooh, its not a true bypass pedal, it'll rape, pilage and murder your tone", well, f**k them, i dont care about true bypasses, or tone.

sorry for the rant, but i'm so sick of people telling me about it.

Do you have any issues with yours ???

cementedshoes
Lostthelines

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

none whatsoever, i probably step on it more than all my pedals put together, and it works every time.
Underthelines

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cementedshoes wrote:
none whatsoever, i probably step on it more than all my pedals put together, and it works every time.

Ok great, thanx Cool

toiletbag
Betweenthelines

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cementedshoes wrote:
i dont care about true bypasses, or tone.

Man, you should probably care about tone. Tone is a subjective thing, and everyone has a different idea of what the 'best guitar tone' is; no doubt even you do, that's why you use a lot of effects to sculpt a tone. Everyone has an idea of what sound they want to achieve, and that's hugely opinionated and up the to the individual.

I, personally, on the other hand just have a different idea of what my ideal guitar tone is. I find that a lot of non-true bypass pedals f**k with the high end of my guitar (which is already lacking high-end because I use an Orange amp), and therefore, choose to use true bypass stuff.

Whatever you want to do is up to you, but I know there's people out there that are trying to infringe their way into other people's choices when it comes to guitar gear. I personally like a lot of Boss stuff - it's sturdy as f**k and as good as it gets when you're paying that sort of price for effects. Some of it is overpriced nonsense, but I used to have the Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal and for the price it's a f*****g excellent pedal.

The line selector is a glorified A/B switch with the added bonus of providing pedal power...
cementedshoes
Lostthelines

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toiletbag wrote:
cementedshoes wrote:

The line selector is a glorified A/B switch with the added bonus of providing pedal power...

yep, but its extra features like that that make it so useful, and the mixed channel mode (ie. you can have your guitar sounding clean and distorted at the same time, which is immensely useful for me sometimes.)

Underthelines

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toiletbag wrote:
cementedshoes wrote:

Man, you should probably care about tone. Tone is a subjective thing, and everyone has a different idea of what the 'best guitar tone' is; no doubt even you do, that's why you use a lot of effects to sculpt a tone. Everyone has an idea of what sound they want to achieve, and that's hugely opinionated and up the to the individual.

I, personally, on the other hand just have a different idea of what my ideal guitar tone is. I find that a lot of non-true bypass pedals f**k with the high end of my guitar (which is already lacking high-end because I use an Orange amp), and therefore, choose to use true bypass stuff.

Whatever you want to do is up to you, but I know there's people out there that are trying to infringe their way into other people's choices when it comes to guitar gear. I personally like a lot of Boss stuff - it's sturdy as f**k and as good as it gets when you're paying that sort of price for effects. Some of it is overpriced nonsense, but I used to have the Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal and for the price it's a f*****g excellent pedal.

Do you know of any other a/b switch pedals ??? And do they power other pedals like the boss ls-2 ???

toiletbag
Betweenthelines

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of A/B pedals out there. There's a company called Loooper who do a run of circuit switching pedals that are supposed to be excellent. I'm not sure on the pricing though...

http://www.loooper.com/

If it was me, I would buy a separate power source for powering my pedals anyway, especially if you plan on having a lot of them. There's a simple reason for this - all pedals have an element of current draw from a power source. While I'd imagine the line selector is good for powering a few Boss or similar pedals, I'd go for something a bit meatier.

Once a power source reaches its full capacity, you'll start to hear it; it'll come in form of buzzing or loud annoying beepy noises. For instance, big delay pedals eat up a lot of a power source's juice; my Boss DD-20 uses 180mA just to power the thing. If you plan on using the bigger Line 6 stuff (DL-4 etc) you can just forget about using the Line Selector to power it really. Then again, it's really down to what you need it for.

I just use one of these things to power my pedals (I only have 4).

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/13412

It has a total capacity of 450mA. It has direct outputs for five pedals, but if you plan it correctly, you could daisy chain your power leads out of one of the outputs to power less demanding pedals and could therefore have more than that. I've seen people run more than 10 pedals off of these things, and for 27 quid it definitely does the job.
hystericallyuseless
Underthelines

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanx for the info. I shall look into those.

Do pedals like the line 6 have the same kind of connections as the boss pedals. The power pack you have shown me, will the connections work with a line 6 pedal ???

Thanx again.

cementedshoes
Lostthelines

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toiletbag wrote:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/13412

im gonna get one of those when i get round to building a pedal board, at the moment everything is all on the floor and transporting it all is a bitch.

Betweenthelines

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hystericallyuseless wrote:
Ok thanx for the info. I shall look into those.

Do pedals like the line 6 have the same kind of connections as the boss pedals. The power pack you have shown me, will the connections work with a line 6 pedal ???

Thanx again.

Yeah they will. Pretty much all pedals come with a 9v power requirement, so that power bank will power pretty much anything.

However, there are rare cases (such as old analog pedals) that use 12 volts... It's pretty rare, but all your mainstream stuff will simply require 9v. That being said though, it's always always always worth just checking a pedal's power requirement before you buy it, you just never know.

The Digitech Whammy needs its own power supply though, because I think it has a very specific power requirement; the reason I mention this is because MV use it a lot and I thought that people might be interested in buying it Smile

Oh, and while I'm on the subject, I've found this page to be extremely helpful in calculating total current draw on your pedal rig; keeps you in touch of whether you're approaching the mA limit on your power supply.

http://www.diago.co.uk/powerstation_compatibility.html
hystericallyuseless
Underthelines

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanx for all the info. Are there any other a/b boxes that you could recomend as it says the guy isnt well and cannot take orders.
cementedshoes
Lostthelines

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got round to looking at those Loooper pedals and......ooooo, i want one of the big ones. Wouldnt have much use for it at the moment, but when i buy a few more (which i will).....will have to look these up again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    myvitriol.net Forum Index -> Kit and Tab All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: