My Vitriol @ Glasgow Stereo - Wednesday November 19th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myvitriol.net Forum Index -> Live & Gig Related
voodoo_john

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Shoddy... Reply with quote

I've been a fan for MV so long now that it's like it has always been. The waiting, the hoping, and finally the seeing after all these years.

First of all, the venue: what a stinking, sweaty little hole Stereo is. It's a nasty little shoebox that has two or three large concrete columns down the centre of the room which pretty much guarantee that you won't see shit in large parts of the room. Having said that I'd also say that the crowd was lucky to have numbered in the 70-80s. One other thing, who the f*cks idea was that blinding light show that was the equivalent of having your retina seared by a thousand suns? I had to look away most of the time because I had a spotlight obscuring everything.

MV turn up an immediately start to fill the place with one of the most amazing live guitar sounds I've ever heard, only to have that knocked back by absolutely no levels on the vocals for about 15seconds, and then everything just went downhill for me at that point.

The playing was oftentimes sloppy, as if Som hasn't really played his own songs in a long time, the painfully obvious bum notes shrieking out. Som's vocals didn't fair much worse with some really out of tune singing that I saw made quite a few people around us cringe. Seth and the rest of the band were keeping it together well, it has to be said.

Most annoyingly, while a lot of the new stuff did sound amazing, it seemed to me that Som is STILL messing about with the structures of some of the songs, and at this stage it can only mean that any hope of a record are a million miles away.

The highlight of the night for me was some random shouts of "Where's the album??" met with stony silence.

Fair enough if you've been dropped by your label. Fair enough if you've ran out of money to re-record the album to date, and need to self-finance via little gigs here and there. But at least when you turn up try to have f*****g practiced your old songs.

Som, you broke my heart.
2020sound
Finelines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst i agree at times they were sloppy, the odd bum note here and there, it wasn't half as bad as you're making out. It was the first night of the tour, the first tour in a number of years, what really did you expect? Probably the first time some of the songs were played, we were very much the test audience. Give them some match practice and they'll be back up there. I was very cynical before the gig and positive after it.
voodoo_john

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2020sound wrote:
Whilst i agree at times they were sloppy, the odd bum note here and there, it wasn't half as bad as you're making out. It was the first night of the tour, the first tour in a number of years, what really did you expect? Probably the first time some of the songs were played, we were very much the test audience. Give them some match practice and they'll be back up there. I was very cynical before the gig and positive after it.

I was expecting this thing called "rehersal". There's no justification for charging 15 a ticket and then just turning up and hoping for the best.

Imagine you turn up for an interview and fluff it, and finish off by saying "Hey I've not had an interview in ages, let me come back tomorrow and I'll be better."

I was positive before the gig and fed-up afterwards. I don't think I've ever been a fan of a band who takes a loan of its fanbase as much as MV do.
2020sound
Finelines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voodoo_john wrote:
2020sound wrote:

I was expecting this thing called "rehersal". There's no justification for charging 15 a ticket and then just turning up and hoping for the best.

Imagine you turn up for an interview and fluff it, and finish off by saying "Hey I've not had an interview in ages, let me come back tomorrow and I'll be better."

I was positive before the gig and fed-up afterwards. I don't think I've ever been a fan of a band who takes a loan of its fanbase as much as MV do.

i think you're exaggerating a fair bit. i enjoyed the set and even the fact that they weren't perfect on the night. i remember seeing the kings of leon and thinking i love the songs but they're played EXACTLY like they are on record, it was very clinical. I suppose i like the old punk ethos that it could all fall to bits at any second, it makes it exciting for me as it's a proper live show that could go either way. if you didn't like paying the 15 to see the opening night of a tour where there's the strong posibility of the songs being very slightly ropey then don't take the risk. the guitars were gorgeous, as was the new bass player. if they took my 15 last night and used it to self-finance the new album, all the better in my opinion.
rydo
Finelines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a greetin faced wee turd you are.

you'd honestly think, judging by your comments, that MV had showed up with acoustic guitars and tried to play thrash metal.

as for the moaning about the lights....are you 50 or 60 years old?

I couldn't find any faults in the gig at all. His singing was a bit iffy sometimes but it always has been. The new songs were very good and it was good to hear This Time live.

Anyone who didnt enjoy it last night need never go back to another MV gig cos its about as good as you'll get for a small shitty venue.

The security was a bit woeful too. That guy didnt look like he was interested in getting off stage during Always your way and Som had to remove him.

They played well, they played for over an hour and they played all the songs we want to hear and the songs that we've waited 6 years to hear. Dry yer eyes. The only thing that annoyed me was that they didnt play Deadlines or Grounded. That was it.

What a gig, very enjoyable. Great to finally see MV in the flesh. Please do come again!
phameie
Finelines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coolio - i'm off to see them in manchester tonight.
can you remember roughly what time they came on? it's just i cant be doing with dodgy girl rock support bands
cementedshoes
Lostthelines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phameie wrote:
coolio - i'm off to see them in manchester tonight.
can you remember roughly what time they came on? it's just i cant be doing with dodgy girl rock support bands

thats why gig venues have a bar Wink

ps. welcome to the forums!

Finelines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers - i've been a fan of MV since the year dot (whenever that was), but was never really hooked on the internet as much in those days.
Really looking forward to tonights show altho the first review of the gig has left me a little apprehensive.

seen them a couple of times before and never been disappointed so fingers crossed it'll be a cracker. not sure my mrs is gonna enjoy the satanic sluts!
rydo
Finelines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They came on stage at about half 9 and played until 11 I think. The girl band are really good btw. Not the kinda music you'd expect from a girl ground with all due respects but they were good IMO.
stripeysocks
Finelines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone know what the setlist was?
rydo
Finelines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it started:

loosing touch
agony and the xtc
......then its a blur...

then towards the end i think it went something like:

If Only
Alpha Waves
Always your way
Tongue Tied
rydo
Finelines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

infact, thinking back, i think they played Taprobane (?) and Cemented Shoes before Always Your Way. Oh and Moodswings before that. ITs all coming back in dibs and dabs!
stripeysocks
Finelines

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no probs, gracias!

i know what to expect on saturday now!
jadg2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was a pretty good gig - Stereo is a nice enough venue - I like the stage, with it's elevated position, even if it is partially obscured. Contrary to what someone said, I'd say there were a few hundred there easy - given that King Tut's holds 300..

Yep the vocals were a bit gip at times, but they were still pretty powerful, there were a few little mistakes here and there in the playing, but you could tell they were still a pretty damm good band - ableit one that hasn't played regularly for any time in years.

Setlist was half old, half new - Pieces was great, as was Always your way predicatably and Losing Touch. Preferred some of the new stuff to the old stuff, although it definitely has that "My Vitriol" sound for the most part.

Yes, they did that cover of Gnarls Barkley.

So the question is - what now? They played a load of new songs, didn't give much reason for their absence, showed their promise, and went to a lot of expense to show a small UK tour - those lights and IEMs don't come cheap, nor a dedicated lighting technician etc. Will they remain eternally lost as a band that could have been, or do they have the baws to move forward?
mbj
Underthelines

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was my7 mate fuzzy who jumped on stage...legend!!!!!
set list-losing touch
agonies
falling off the floor
gentle
this time
infantile
damm easy
under the wheels
asperisons
crazy
war
into your arms
moodswings
if only
cemented shoes
alphawaves-always
tounge tied

the gig was unreal....seth stole the show for me....
som took a bit of a back setter.....wotw sounded like the old demo.....
crazy was shit...hated it!!!!
the old stuff sounded epic again...like they re-worked it!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    myvitriol.net Forum Index -> Live & Gig Related All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: