The Secret Sessions
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    myvitriol.net Forum Index -> General MV Related Discussion
Bremang
Underthelines

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:47 am    Post subject: The Secret Sessions Reply with quote

My Vitriol release The Secret Sessions.

https://www.discogs.com/My-Vitriol-The-Secret-Sessions/release/9267207

It really happened.

What do you think of the music?
Glidor
Overthelines

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds better after each listen - having to adjust to the 'new' versions of some of the tracks which were leaked but I'm impressed with the way the sound has been filled out and produced.
Medrano
Overthelines

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any improvement in the sound comparing it with the 7 tracks sample from the pledge?

I'm wondering how many CDs have been made... Around 2000?

Glidor
Overthelines

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they sound much better, especially the softer tracks. Had it on in my car (only place with a decent CD player) and the heavier tracks are really bass heavy and some of the more intricate instrumentation gets a bit lost plus they are really layered tracks as well. Would love to get hold of the master tapes and hear everything individually.

The vocal work is outstanding
Beat Poet
Underthelines

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really digging the amount of compression, it's just way too much. Preferred listening on my monitors, but sadly that highlighted the clipping on a couple of songs. ISDE sounds much better on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zhlcpIY4W0, maybe the extra compression went on during the mastering phase.

That said, well done, finally, to Som and Ravi.

Overthelines

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just out of this world after hearing it. So emotional i'm speechless.
Bremang
Underthelines

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The songwriting as usual is exceptional. Makes me wish i hadnt been listening to these tracks for the past 10 years

If you read the discogs i think it is fair to say this was self produced. Som and ravi i assume are amateur producers. There definitely is clipping in every song on secret sessions. I think production value is the reason this cant be considered the finelines follow up.

I still love this release from top to bottom. And to think it had even more potential is amazing. i wish it was produced professionally and performed by the band 10 years younger. I wont say that som wasnt full of shit with the lies for 10 years but im sure this took alot of effort to release this work. Hopefully those earlier finished tracks exist and get released one day.

Awesome to hear we lost our way. This time and lord knows was essentially just an edited and remastered version made louder with a couple added things. Cant believe im living the post mv release life. Never thought id see the day. Of course guns and roses reunited first but hey, we all knew they would before mv got their shit together
Glidor
Overthelines

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just listened to the streamed version on headphones and its much better than my car stereo, you can hear every little bit! Some of the synth sounds so good (prophet 8 used perhaps?)

After multiple listens it gets better - love it and well worth the wait
Dent18
Finelines

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very very good. It's amazing to finally have a new MV release after listening to Finelines and Cast in Amber over and over

I just don't see how this had to take so long...even ignoring the 10 year hiatus or whatever, they overshot the pledge session deadline tremendously. Why can't they just go into a studio and record stuff and have a guy engineer and mix it like every other band? Why did this devolve into Som figuring out everything himself?
flaspur
Finelines

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, just joined and suspect you may get a few more with the recent pledge CD release. I’ve had my copy of Secret Sessions for about 48 hours now and it’s had its fair share of listens.

Whilst like other fans I’m excited to finally get my hands on some new MV material after all these years, I do find myself feeling a little let down by this recording. Not the music but the actual quality of the end product.

I’ll admit that I’m a stickler for sound quality - always have been a bit of a musician and audio geek but the production on this record screams of a kid being let loose in a candy store. There’s clipping everywhere on this recording to the point where at times, its hard to listen to. A number of us pointed this out on the official Pledge discussion threads and immediately had our comments either shot down for being negative or censored completely. So to hear it still there on the final record is pretty poor by all accounts and frankly shoddy.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed having this new material which I’m still getting to know but there’s points where the production and modulation is just too much, that it dominates everything and the music just gets lost. Ever heard of the saying “less is more” guys?

A great example being “Rest Your Tired Head”. Probably my favourite of the new material yet this final version is so over-produced, its now lost its soul. The opening piano on the demo version was clean and simple which allowed the song to develop. Now its just saturated with chorussy modulation and the vocals sound like the band’s playing in an empty concert hall. It’s horrid.

Practically every heavier song on here has clipping on the bass and bass drums and the best of the lot is the re-recording of “Lord Knows I’ve Tried” which actually has distortion clearly audible in the middle section from 3:34 which gets even worse around 4:00 minutes in. Seeing the band stated they wanted to re-record this as the previous versions sounded like a low bit rate cruddy MP3, I wonder how this is an improvement. I’ll take the original thanks.

Sorry, this is starting to sound like a rant but when you are one of the many hundreds of pledgers who had a vested interest in this project and waited months to get the final product and gave honest, constructive feedback to the demos they released, yet were ignored or shut down, it does make you wonder why on earth bands don’t listen to fans more.

I’ll forgive them seeing this is a fan only release and by the sounds of it, had some serious hurdles to overcome but you’d think getting you overall levels right on the mix was basic stuff and priority number one.
flaspur
Finelines

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaspur wrote:
There’s clipping everywhere on this recording to the point where at times, its hard to listen to. A number of us pointed this out on the official Pledge discussion threads and immediately had our comments either shot down for being negative or censored completely. So to hear it still there on the final record is pretty poor by all accounts and frankly shoddy.

Don't think I'm alone in this sentiment looking at the other comments scattered on this discussion board. Shame.
flaspur
Finelines

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dent18 wrote:
Why can't they just go into a studio and record stuff and have a guy engineer and mix it like every other band?

I'm convinced like others that the money ran out. Remember, they don't get any of the Pledge money until they fulfil the orders so they had to find the money upfront somehow to fund the record.

Seems obvious to me they didn't have any because they couldn't find/book a suitable producer (studio time and engineers cost a bomb) and the other band members weren't a part of the recording process (which I find a little odd)
schism198
Finelines

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaspur wrote:
Whilst like other fans I’m excited to finally get my hands on some new MV material after all these years, I do find myself feeling a little let down by this recording. Not the music but the actual quality of the end product.

I’ll admit that I’m a stickler for sound quality - always have been a bit of a musician and audio geek but the production on this record screams of a kid being let loose in a candy store. There’s clipping everywhere on this recording to the point where at times, its hard to listen to. A number of us pointed this out on the official Pledge discussion threads and immediately had our comments either shot down for being negative or censored completely. So to hear it still there on the final record is pretty poor by all accounts and frankly shoddy.

Absolutely could not agree more. I, like everyone else has been waiting patiently for this release for something like 14 years. Whilst the song writing is definitely still strong, I can't fathom how it is that the Cast In Amber sampler is of a higher quality recording than this! All the songs have been over produced to the point of sounding clinical and cold. Mixed feelings about this end product overall.
flaspur
Finelines

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

schism198 wrote:
Whilst the song writing is definitely still strong, I can't fathom how it is that the Cast In Amber sampler is of a higher quality recording than this!

Exactly! Where are those recordings and why couldn't the band just release those instead? I can only presume they're locked down by some stringent recording contract meaning they couldn't be released without compensation.

If that's the case, a pledge to fund the purchase rights to those originals would have made more sense.

The whole process of this record was frankly weird though. We had excuse after excuse to the point where it did get tedious and I know a lot of fans simply lost patience with them. Understandably so.
Dent18
Finelines

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flaspur wrote:
schism198 wrote:
Whilst the song writing is definitely still strong, I can't fathom how it is that the Cast In Amber sampler is of a higher quality recording than this!

If that's the case, a pledge to fund the purchase rights to those originals would have made more sense.

Yeah that would've been amazing. Why wait 10 years for them to rerecord them?

Even better, just be cheeky and leak the full originals online. Oh what a shame mr record company guess they got ahold of them somehow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    myvitriol.net Forum Index -> General MV Related Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: